Date:      Wed, 02 Jun 1999 19:50:37 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        ynishimura@home.nimc.go.jp
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About licence of usage of FreeBSD

>I have a queston about licence of use of freebsd and application.
>
>There are found many kinds of pruducts using freebsd and linux at Interop 99
>Tokyo started yesterday.
>Hitachi liked to sell convienient DHCP Server based on freebsd and WIDE-DHCP and
>some company liked to sell CD-ROM server based on Linux.
>
>1)What they try to sell lead you to take loss  or not?

   No, since there is no 'profit', there is nothing to lose. FreeBSD is free
to be used in embedded applications (like DHCP servers) or whatever, without
restriction.

>2)Do you know there are many such kinds of products in the market, now.

   Yes.

>3)If you complained these kind of products, they can distribute their software
>at free of charge seperately from their hardware.
>
> They are saying they can use linux and freebsd in their products because they
>are free and there are many such kind of products in TAIWAN. And they says they
>are selling their hardware and linux/freebsd instalation services not Unix
>themselves.
>
>I don't like to see the trouble of copyright or something like that after our
>purchases.
>
>Please let us know your opinions

   We encourage companies to use FreeBSD in their products and are happy to
see this happening.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org