Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2019 11:16:51 +0100
From:      Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   security/ca_root_nss missing Let's Encrypt X3 certificate

Hello.

I'm having trouble connecting (e.g. with fetch) to TLS servers which are
using a Let's Encrypt certificate.

The exact message depends on the client I use, but it goes along this line:
>Protocol error (TLS code: X509_V_ERR_UNABLE_TO_GET_ISSUER_CERT_LOCALLY)
>SSL Certficate error: certificate issuer (CA) not known:
> /C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3

Of course adding that specific certificate to
/usr/local/etc/ssl/cert.pem is enough to solve.

However, Let's encrypt seems to be widely accepted, so I was suprised
not to find it in security/ca_root_nss.
Also, some page on the Internet [1] suggests the certifiate should be there.

[1]
> https://www.linuxadminqa.com/freebsd-wget-can-not-confirm-certificates-issued-by-lets-encrypt/

Am I doing something wrong or is this certificate really missing?
If so, why? Isn't it worth adding it?

  bye & Thanks
	av.