Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 23:35:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD naming

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I was just pointing out that having things in subdirectories
> > is better than having a zillion files piled into a single directory.
>
> I'm torn between agreeing that it's tidier and disagreeing on the
> grounds that it's much more of a pain to administer.  "Where is that
> damnned module?" "Why am I loading a stale version of saver_foo?", etc.

Putting the source code in different directories is not equivilent to
putting the modules in different directories, needless to say.  :-)  As
such, I think having a structured source tree is really nice, but the
simplicity of modules in a single directory in the style of MacOS
extensions as you discuss has appeal (and means that users don't have to
try and reproduce a directory hierarchy for binary-only modules they get
somewhere).  On the other hand, this still requires moderation in
namespace use for modules.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/