Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:09:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Audio trouble...

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Bryce Newall wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Doug White wrote:
>
> > > It's a genuine SoundBlaster 16 (non-PnP), so it oughtta be supported...
> >
> > What driver are you using?  SBs are not well supported, especially the
> > Vibra versions.
>
> It's older than the Vibra -- I bought it almost 5 years ago, when the SB
> 16 first came out.  It's kinda surprising to hear the the SB is not well
> supported, since that card has been more-or-less the standard over the
> years.  As far as drivers go, well, here's what's in my kernel config
> file:
>
> controller snd0
> device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 10 drq 1 vector sbintr
> options "SBC_IRQ=10"
> device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
> device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
> device opl0 at isa? port 0x388 conflicts
>
> I guess the driver would be sb0...?

All in order.  The biggest problem is that SBs don't maintain a constant
clock and it confuses the DMA code, resulting in 'clicks' in the output. I
had an AWE32 (the original) that absolutely hated streaming audio like
vat.  The Crystal chip in my PPro200 works like a dream, and I recommend
cards based on them highly (like the A/Open AW35).

Basically the SB wasn't engineered for a multitasking environment.

Doug White