Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:29:05 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        "Dan Seafeldt, AZ.COM System Administrator" <yankee@az.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, gdonl@tsc.tdk.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAPS effort / CISCO 12.0

In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.1000122031405.13757C-100000@gate.az.com>, "Dan Seafel
dt, AZ.COM System Administrator" writes:

>I have a CISCO router upgraded to pre-release 12.0 and will look at that.
>And regarding the mention of MAPS effort, I thought about that but I was
>worried about all the ISP's out there who may use one
>gateway/router to connect 2 separate upstream netblocks without any use of
>BGP. In this case, it is possible that outbound packets will always go
>through one upstream ISP even though the returns end up going through 2
>different ISP's For example, a CISCO 2600 series with one Frame Relay
>connection and 2 PVCS to two different upsteams, and the gateway set to one
>of these PVC's with a different class C coming down each PVC's
>
>I could see where an egress block enabled by the upstream provider who is
>not the gateway would shut down access to that class C. Not all ISP's can
>afford to or understand how to implement BGP but want some amount of
>redudancy or additional bandwidth via 2 different upstreams.

You know, that would be the most lame excuse for not doing anything
about this I have heard so far.

That ISP, can still put egress filters on both their outgoing PVCs
as long as they allow both C classes both ways.

But I would be terribly disappointed if their upstream didn't block
all but their assigned C class in.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!