Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 17:41:54 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu
Cc:        rsnow@legend.txdirect.net, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tcl 7.4 / Tk 4.0 Ports

 * > By all means, yes.  However, tk4.x is not compatible with tk3.x, so I
 * > recommend you call it "tk4" or something.  That way we can have both
 * > versions.
 * >
 * > >From what I've heard, tcl7.4 is just an upgrade of tcl7.3.  If that is
 * > true, we can replace the current tcl port.
 *
 * This is just a reinforcement.  The new tcl/tk versions aren't compatbile
 * with the old ones, and many of the existing applications will fail under
 * the new ones.  I haven't seen a lot of activity (yet) by the writers of
 * extensions, to make them compatible with the new versions.  The last
 * thing in the world you would want to do would be to replace the old ones
 * with the new ones, because this would break all your applications.
 *
 * Yes, I agree the ports should be done, but Satoshi's right, they MUST be
 * kept separate from the existing ones.

Um, we are not in complete agreement here, read what I typed. ;)

So, is tcl7.4 incompatible with tcl7.3?

Satoshi