Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 01:46:18 +0200
From:      Jean-Yves Lefort <jylefort@brutele.be>
To:        Philip Gollucci <p6m7g8@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Ports using CVS

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 07:37:12PM -0400, Philip Gollucci wrote:
> Thats a good point.  It hadn't occurred to me.  The only other thing
> that comes to mind
> would be that if theres file in the files/ dir that get applied as
> patches, wouldn't they only
> work agaist the CVS version which was tagged and then made a
> distribution ?
>
> I'm sure you've though of that though, so they're probably something I'm
> missing.

Yes I tought of that: the maintainer of the port takes the responsability
to decide if he can apply patches, or if he has to use sed.

I already ported a few applications this way, and experience shows that
the method is okay; restrictive sed patterns provide enough security;
one could include a check to forbib the use of the port if some files
have changed too much (a kind of 'relaxed checksum').

Regards,

Jean-Yves Lefort

--
* Jean-Yves Lefort -- jylefort@brutele.be -- http://lefort.homeunix.org/ *