Date:      04 Aug 2005 01:05:40 +0200
From:      "Arno J. Klaassen" <arno@heho.snv.jussieu.fr>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Death to toor

Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> writes:

> Arno J. Klaassen wrote:
> > Hello,
> > [ stuff deleted ]

> > from a user point of view, I use toor on all machines, basically for
> > two reasons :
> >  - I don't feel confident to change default root shell
>
> As long as you change it to another shell that is provided by the
> system (in this case /bin/sh) you'll be fine here. I've done this for
> years. My .profile tests to see if bash is available, and execs it if
> so.

yop, i did it that way before; but I got tired of all tests in .profile,
.bash_profile, .bashrc (mixing gdm and ssh on the same box gives me
the same headaches of not taking the time to figure out exactly which
shell uses what file, in what order and overruled by what environment ...)

> Note, I'm not saying that we should get rid of toor, quite the
> opposite, I think we should keep it.

me too, but in that case including /bin/bash in the base-system would
be a nice thing as well, or at least a shells/bash-root port or
something like that.
my first thing on each new installation is statically build shells/bash
and copy to /bin

> >  - quite a lot of my customors "need/want" root access (including the
> >    possibility to change it's passwd); keeping a toor account with a well
> >    kept secret by me passwd saves me a lot of trouble (a part from
> >    systems needing root passwd for catastrophic single user boot)
>
> That's an entirely different situation.

yes, but imho a good reason to keep the toor account at least
mentionned in the base system.
I'm still glad my mentor explained me X years ago its existence.
Naturally a newbie sysadmin thinks there is just one and only root.

Arno