Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 09:51:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        Eduardo Costa <costa@supra.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyrix Processors

> I would like to know if anyone has already tested the "new" Cyrix P166+
> processor with FreeBSD, and if there are any known bugs, because we are
> thinking of upgrading our server to a Cyrix P166+, 64 Mb memory, 2.1Gb
> HD, and, before it, you would like to now something about the Cyrix...

I'm running a FreeBSD box on a Cyrix P150+ without problem.  Two items to
note:

    * The Cyrix will report as a 486, so you will not get any of the 586
      kernel optimizations (Somebody mentioned that the Cyrix chip did not
      implement a full 586 instruction set, but I was under the
      impression the Cyrix P150+ chips implemented the full 686 instruction
      set *shrug*).
    * They compare it to a P150/P166 etc, yet its floating point is NOT
      comparable.  However, its fixed precision mathematics are faster,
      which is what I assume they are using to average the comparison.  If
      you are going to have a server with a lot of floating math an
      intel chip would be a better choice, if you are simply going to
      have a general server then the Cyrix chip would be a better chip (IMHO)

-Brandon Gillespie