Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 19:10:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      mark thompson <thompson@tgsoft.com>
To:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: java support under FreeBSD.

   From: James Mansion <james@wgold.demon.co.uk>
   Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 10:49:10 +0000

   I have a suggestion wrt 'foo'class' rather than 'foo'.

   Would it be possible to write a layered filter file system
   and mount it onto some part or parts of the main system so that,
   if I try to stat or open 'foo', and 'foo' does not exist but
   'foo.class' doesn't, then I see a read-only executable file called
   'foo', maybe one that has contents '#!/somewhere/java foo.class'
   or therabouts?

   James

aaaarrrgggghhhhh. This is getting worse and worse. Instead of bloating
the kernel, how about about adding it to execvp (or whatever we can get
the shells to agree on). You could even have it driven by a file in
/etc...

# exec wrapper for the shells...
java   %    "java %.class -various magic params"
perl   %    "perl %.pl"

-mark