Date:      Sun, 05 Sep 1999 20:37:51 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>
Cc:        wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup

On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 08:20:26 -1000, "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" wrote:

> Speaking of which, how do I update ports-all if I'm tracking stable?
> I see only tag=. is valid for the ports tree, if I use that I get the
> most current ports?

Yes. The ports tree is not branched. Ports are expected to work properly
for HEAD (CURRENT) and RELENG_3 (STABLE), as well as releases taken off
the latter branch.

> Will the most current ports work with stable or do I need to go to
> freebsd-current?

Most of the most current ports should work with an up-to-date stable.
:-)

Later,
Sheldon.

> I tried compiling lsof after cvsuping my ports tree with tag=. and the
> make bombs with numerous complaints about stuff in /usr/include files
> on my FreeBSD 3.3-RC system.

You'd have to send mail to ports@freebsd.org (or send a PR) explaining
the exact error messages you got. :-)

> Is this just a problem with lsof or a more general problem
> with my ports updates not matching my OS release?

Probably just a problem with lsof, which has to know quite a lot about
the kernel.

Later,
Sheldon.