Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:23:01 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        Jesse McConnell <jesse@gallup.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building jboss port question

* Jesse McConnell <jesse@gallup.com> [020217 01:53]:
> http://www.jboss.org
>
> I am building out the jboss ports and I wanted to ask the troops on here
> a few questions.
>
> First off, if someone else is already doing this, please let me know.
>
> Since jboss can be intalled by itself or with Tomcat 3.2.3 or Tomcat
> 4.0.1 or even Jetty 3.1.3_1 I am thinking about going one of two ways.
> First would be to just warn the port user to specify
> WITH_JAKARTA_TOMCAT_3, WITH_JAKARTÅ_TOMCAT_4 or WITH_JETTY.  Jboss is
> packaged so it is already configured to make use of them, which can be
> kinda a pain so I figured the options should be available outside of the
> other ports which offer those programs.  The other option would be to go
> like the apache port and offer three different ports, jboss,
> jboss-tomcat (which allows you to choose 3 or 4), and jboss-jetty.

I was toying with JBoss, and writing a port - it makes sense to me
to keep the add-ons in their own ports, since they're standalone apps
and not part of JBoss as such.
	I'd expect it to be a lot easier to not clobber someones existing config
using this approach, as well. But I never got enough sense out of
the JBoss docs to see how it integrates other servers - partly because I
don't do an awful lot of EJB development...

> The other question is which jdk should I make these go against.  The
> forte ones seems to use the linux-jdk one to build against..but I am
> thinking I'll just attach a pkg-message that explains where to launch
> the program from and to set the JAVA_HOME of the vm you want to
> use...Any feelings one way or the other?

This is coming back to bsd.java.mk again, but I can confirm that JBoss
starts up under jdk13 native quire happily (using latest patchset) -
though as I said I haven't done much more than look at the management
interface in a browser...

--
Good news.  Ten weeks from Friday will be a pretty good day.
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns ::