Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:08:45 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual booting -stable & -current

Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl> types:
> I'm probably completely dim today so please bear with me :/
> Thing is I want to setup a dual-boot box, running -stable & -current.
> This box, a P2/266 has a 30G IDE disk.
>
> What I did is create
> 	ad0s1 -> 256MB -> holds root for -stable
> 	ad0s2 -> 256MB -> was supposed to hold root for -current
> 	ad0s3 -> roughly 14G holds tmp,var,usr,usr/obj for -stable
> 	ad0s4 -> ditto for -current
>
> Thing is, 4.3R refuses to install it's root on ad0s2 (4.3 because I want
> to go current from there).

If you've already got -stable installed on ad0s1, why not mount the
-current partitions on your -stable system, and then build and install
those on -current? I just did mine that way to begin with, and thus
avoided any problems with sysinstall.

If you're tight on disk space - though it doesn't look like you are -
you can save a bit by using the same swap partition for both systems.

	<mike