Date:      Sun, 02 Jul 2000 15:05:12 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /sys hierarchy

In message <20000702135610.G96427@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
: On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 01:31:28PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
: > : cd blah is currently
: > : cd ../../compile/${KERNNAME}
: > : it becomes
: > : cd /usr/obj/`pwd`/${KERNNAME}
: >
: > My take on this is that it would make it slightly harder to develop
: > kernel stuff in the tree.  I don't like that prospect, and I think
:
: I agree that it is nicer to make the created headers, Makefile, etc. into
: /sys/compile/ , BUT it would be better to put the .o's in /usr/obj/ to
: seperate the generated binary from the [generated] source.

Having the ability to do this is great (like I said for the typical
buildworld case).  Having the ability to turn it off is also desirable
to aid in normal development.  Even /usr/obj can be turned off for the
normal case by setting MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX to /bogus (assuming you have
no /bogus).  So too should any new feature like this be.  config
shouldn't be modified to put things in /usr/obj/`pwd`${KERNNAME}, but
instead one should use the -d feature of config in the buildkernel
target to put this into /usr/obj.

Warner