Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 19:15:24 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

On Sun, Sep 28, 1997 at 01:11:58AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>
> > > Yes, I tag and then I build from that tag after resyncronizing my
> > > local repository.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, tags are expensive and you don't just lay them down
> > > for fun.
> >
> > In what way are release tags expensive?
>
> I'm not sure exactly what Jordan was referring to, but I know that every
> time the tree gets tagged, a huge ctm delta is generated.  I think this
> would mean a lot of net traffic also for folks using cvsup.  In that way,
> it's very expensive and time consuming.

This should be irrelevant for adding CVS tags for each commit, I
believe.  It will increase the ctm delta size a little, but the ctm
deltas would still only refer to files that are modified anyway.  (At
least that was an expense I knew about - I'm just wondering if there
is some hidden expense I _don't_ know about, like files with a huge
number of tags being excedingly slow to work with, or somesuch.)

Eivind.