Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 11:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cylinder group and special device

:Can anyone answer the following two questions for me:
:
:(1) Does a cylinder group in FFS have to begin at a cylinder boundary?

    No.  The only thing that happens if it isn't is that the '# (Cyl. .... )'
    comment in the disklabel has asterixes in it.  Modern hard drives
    use variable length tracks so most people do not bother trying to
    align the placement of filesystemes on the disk.  The filesystem
    doesn't care, you shouldn't care, so don't worry about it.

:(2) If we read a block via a special device name (/dev/xxx), will the
:block be buffered as normal file data and used when we need the block
:again?

    If you use, for example, /dev/da0a, it will be buffered.  If you
    use /dev/rda0a, it will not be buffered.  'r' means raw-unbuffered.

    Accessing block devices directly is somewhat dangerous.  The system
    will not allow you to open the buffered device if a mounted filesystem
    is using the partition, but it will allow you to open the raw device
    even if a filesystem is using the partition.  This can be extremely
    dangerous so care must be taken when accessing block devices.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:Thanks for any help.