Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 1999 23:44:22 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        dkulp@neomorphic.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

> It is not at all difficult to find places where interested parties and
> working code have been turned away for failing to meet the gatekeepers'
> standards for architectural purity.

I think this somewhat oversimplifies the matter and if we could
actually examine some of the bits of code you saw "rejected" at this
point, we'd quickly see that they destabilized or even flat-out broke
other aspects of our desktop/server support.

To contrive an example, if you have 11 funky PCCARD modems which
require extensive hacks to sio.c but those hacks are also sort of
suspect on account of the fact that they're old and cause "unexplained
weirdness" with some types of multi-port serial cards that various
ISPs use, are we doing the right thing as an ostensibly server-focused
OS to accept those changes?  Probably not, at least certainly not
unconditionally.  The same goes double for some of the scarier patches
to wd.c and the network drivers.  It's not just a matter of declaring
open season in /sys/i386/isa and bringing in PAO, it's a matter of
figuring out how to integrate it without breaking something *ELSE*
in the process.

That's all the "architectural purity" I see being called for here,
that and some attempt to avoid a profusion of #ifdefs within the code
that make it unreadable to anyone else.  WE get all the complaints
when things are broken or rendered into unclear spaghetti code, but do
folks like you jump to our defense when that happens?  Generally not.
We just get shot at from both sides, whether we run in one direction
or the other or simply try to stay in the middle. :)

> I'm too busy to do it myself.

I thought as much.  Get down to the courtyard, it's time for your
appointment with the firing squad. :)

- Jordan