Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 11:02:16 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ethernet address format changes.

> Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:46:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> :
> :>     Comments?
> :
> :As a datapoint, Solaris ifconfig and sparc OBP will print ethernet
> :addresses without leading 0s.
> :
> :Not that I think freebsd's behaviour should have changed, but it is
> :done elsewhere.
> :
> :P.
> :
> :--
> :pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu
>
>     This brings up the question as to whether we should 'fix' this in
>     -current and -stable, or just fix it in -stable and leave current
>     alone (i.e. make the new format, without leading zero's, the standard
>     for -current).

If we are going to "fix" it, we should make it compliant with the ISO
specification for MAC addresses (ISO 8802). This is all uppercase with
leading zeros and hyphens between octets. (e.g. 00:06:5b:80:b1:fc
would become 00-06-5B-80-B1-FC).

I don't really expect anyone to take this seriously, but it's always
bugged me that the folks who did the initial implementation chose to
disregard the spec.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)