Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 12:15:17 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hibernation & Phoenix Notebios???

Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 07:08:18PM -0800, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> >      Does hibernation/save-to-disk work for anyone with a laptop with a
> > Phoenix "NoteBIOS" BIOS?
>
> Sony Vaio F270, FreeBSD 3.2+PAO, and the suspend (both to memory and to
> disk) work fine.  When suspending to disk the 'progress screen' identifies
> itself as Phoenix NoteBIOS v4.0.
>
> I didn't have to do anything to get it to work, it just works.

     Grrr.  I've got the same NoteBIOS revision, but I've got nothing
but grief.  ;-(

> Just a thought -- suspend to disk requires a partition at the end of the
> disk with sysid 165, and it needs to be roughly 3 * size of RAM (mine has
> 64MB RAM, and the fdisk output is
>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> sysid 160,(unknown)
>     start 12262320, size 408240 (199 Meg), flag 0
>         beg: cyl 811/ sector 1/ head 0;
>         end: cyl 837/ sector 63/ head 239

     Thanks.  I've got such a partition:

	The data for partition 4 is:
	sysid 160,(unknown)
	    start 15165360, size 302400 (147 Meg), flag 0
		beg: cyl 1003/ sector 1/ head 0;
		end: cyl 1022/ sector 63/ head 239

However, I think the "3 * size of RAM" part comes from the maximum
allowed installed RAM size plus a tad more.  My notebook allows a
maximum of 144MB RAM, and also allows smaller hibernation partition
sizes (documented in the manual, but not recommended).

     Anyway, I am using a "non-standard" hard disk in my laptop (the
laptop comes with a 4GB disk, but I've replaced it with a 10GB one).
One possible gotcha is that the hibernation partitions are in different
locations on the two drives (maybe the BIOS is choking on that).
Another possibility is that the BIOS thinks the drive is an 8.4GB drive
(instead of a 10GB one), even though FreeBSD has no problems accessing
the entire drive (maybe this is confusing the hibernation code).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com