Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 1995 14:59:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        root@rz-wb.fh-sw.de (Michael Reifenberger)
Cc:        martin@innovus.com, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: About readonly root partition

> On Fri, 13 Jan 1995, Martin Renters wrote:
> > I do agree that it would be a good idea to do something to allow selective
> > mounting at system startup time. Perhaps init could tell that it is running
> > diskless and run some sort of shared '/etc/diskless.rc' script which could
> > mount the correct /etc, /tmp and /var filesystems based on some system
> > administrator defined scheme.
>
> Istn't amd supposed to do this sorts of things.
>
> Bye!
> Michael Reifenberger

amd is sorta useless until a reasonable portion of the system has been
brought up.  In particular, one needs to arrange to get the maps and
hostnames from somewhere...  it would be just as easy to devise a cleaner
solution.

However, amd is a sysadmin's dream come true for day to day NFS mounts.  :-)

... Joe

Joe Greco - The Data Capture Fellow (and UNIX/Network Hacker)      414/362-3617
Marquette Electronics, Inc. - Milwaukee, WI        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com