Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 06:30:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freebsd.org!questions, ponds!CSUA.Berkeley.EDU!richardc
Subject:   Re: uucp assistance needed

See below..

> 	I am in need of help from someone more experienced with uucp.
>
> 	I want the uucp machine to call up via uucico (which it currently
> can do, I just don't have a login & password to get me uucp access) to our
> machine earth.
>
> 	It then needs to transfer news files to earth either directly to
> /usr/local/dnews/uucpin or to another directory where they can later be
> copied to /usr/local/dnews/uucpin.
>
> 	It also needs to retrieve any news waiting to go out via uucp from
> /usr/local/dnews/uucpout.
>
> 	That's pretty much it...like I said, the uucp machine is directly
> connected via null modem cable, so it gets to the login prompt, I just
> don't know how to set up earth.  Config files are in /etc/uucp, I briefly
> played with them, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.
>
> 	Thanks a bunch!
>
> Richard

 Richard -

   If you're trying to set up a basic newsfeed via uucp; then you've
 made your problem more difficult that it could be...

   First, I suggest getting the excellent book:

	Managing uucp and Usenet

 from O'Reilly and associates (see O'Reilly's home page for ordering
 information.)   They explain how to do this in a really understandable
 fashion.  However, the current issue doesn't address Taylor UUCP (which
 is the UUCP FreeBSD uses)  so, the UUCP configuration files will be
 different.  It sounds like you've already got that covered.

   Now, if you don't want to get that involved and simply want to
 copy these files around; you need to look into the "uucp" command
 itself.   This will explain how to copy the files in a manner that
 I think will help you (man uucp).  Remember uucp stands for
 Unix to Unix CoPy.   I'd imagine you can set up a cron job to
 simply issue the appropriate uucp command every now-and-then.

	- Dave Rivers -