Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 08:30:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NFS woes: FreeBSD client & Solaris 2.5.1 server

hal:
[vshah@hal] ~> uname -a
FreeBSD hal 2.2.6-BETA FreeBSD 2.2.6-BETA #0: Thu Mar 12 14:11:10 EST 1998     toor@hal:/var/src/sys/compile/HAL_TWO  i386

This box acts as a NFS server for most of the filesystems, and there
are no problems with the filesystems it is serving (NFSv2).

However, it also mounts one filesystem from a Solaris 2.5.1 server:
snoop:/home/research on /home/research

Snoop is a:
SunOS snoop 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1

NOTE: the NIC on hal is a vx0 <3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI>
[Yeah, I know -- FreeBSD doesn't have a great driver for this card,
 but it works well enough for serving filesystems]

The problem is that intermittently NFS operations on the
/home/research directory hang, such as:
[vshah@hal] ~> file core
nfs server snoop:/home/research: not responding
[wait for a few minutes]
[I then delete the core file from another machine, and I get:]

nfs server snoop:/home/research: is alive again
core: file: read failed (Stale NFS file handle).

If I don't delete the file, it just remains hung. The core file is an
8M file.

Any ideas on this?

Viren
--
"Endure pain, find joy, and make your own meaning, because the universe
 certainly isn't going to supply it. Always be a moving target.