Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:39:36 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, sthaug@nethelp.no, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: "Dangerously dedicated" yet again (was: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_diskmbr.c)

On Sunday,  9 December 2001 at 18:46:24 -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> [ ... IBM DTLA drives ... ]

No, that wasn't me.

> IBM DTLA drives are known to rotate fast enough near the spindle
> that the sustained write speed exceeds the ability of the controller
> electronics to keep up, and results in crap being written to disk.

What about the cache?

> This is not often a problem with windows, the FS of shich fills
> sectors in towards the spindle, so you only hit the problem when you
> near the "disk full" state.

This sounds very unlikely.

> Do a Google/Tom's Hardware search to reassure yourself that I am not
> smoking anything.

I think I'd rather put the shoe on the other foot.  This looks like
high-grade crack.  Who was smoking it?

>>> I don't understand the need some people have for using something that is
>>> labelled as DANGEROUS.
>>
>> I don't understand the need some people have for labelling something
>> as DANGEROUS when it works nearly all the time.

I *did* write this.

> It's because you have to reinstall, should you want to add a second
> OS at a later date (e.g. Linux, or Windows).

So all dedicated installations are dangerous?   I would have to do
that whether I had a Microsoft partition table or not if I had already
used the entire disk for FreeBSD.

>> We don't have many disks which are shared between different platforms,
>> but that will change.  As you know, I have the ability to hot swap
>> disks between an RS/6000 platform and an ia32 platform.  The RS/6000
>> disks will never have a Microsoft partition table on them.  They will
>> have BSD partition tables on them.  Why call this dangerous?
>
> Your use is orthogonal to the most common expected usage, which is
> disks shared between OSs on a single platform, rather than disks
> shared between a single OS on multiple platforms.

Expected usage is to install once and then never change it.

Greg