Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 03:49:58 +0300
From:      Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging win95 and nt filesystem changes into msdosfs

Jim Bryant wrote:
> i've been looking at the netbsd diffs for msdosfs.
>
> are these going to be merged into the -current distribution?  the
> current diffs don't apply to current, and are getting out of sync.

This is news to me. MSDOSFS in -current almost not changed since I produced
this patch (msdosfs-netbsd.diff.gz). The only changes which I remember was:
	Bruce added #include <vm/vm_zone.h> to msdosfs_vnops.c
	Eivind added #include "opt_diagnostic.h" to 3 files
	Eivind backed out the previous change.
	Eivind staticized something. I haven't received this change yet.
Is the diff you talk about called msdosfs-netbsd.diff?

> am tempted to go in and merge this by hand, but really don't want to
> duplicate someone's effort.

Well, I "maintain" this changes locally and can regenerate the diffs.

> shouldn't this merge become part of -current in order to keep in
> sync?!  this is something that i personally find lacking in freebsd is
> the lack of ability to handle fat32 and long filenames on a msdog
> partition.

I should also point out that there is another diff, msdosfs-vfat.diff, in
incoming. This diff is for 2.2. It is original and independent work of
Luoqi Chen. It is not supposed to support FAT32. May be, now Luoqi did some
further development of his work.

> i have also noticed a lack of response on any questions to this group
> dealing with this issue.  i have previously asked about such support
> and received absolutely no answers in the [recent] past.

I don't remember your _recent_ postings about it. These diffs is less than 2
months old. BTW, I got the idea of looking to NetBSD for long file names
support from a discussion on -current.

Dima