Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:11:49 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggested modification to default install

In a thread earlier this year, it was noted that /stand/sysinstall,
by default, sets most of the partitions it creates to use
softupdates -- except for the root, which is mounted noasync
without softupdates. This can lead to disaster if something
on the root partition is being modified during a sudden crash.

It seems to me that, since the root partition contains invaluable
configuration information and is rarely written (sysinstall now
creates a distinct /tmp partition), the root can (and should!) be
mounted sync by default. There should be no performance degradation,
but the system will be more crashworthy, especially if one is
running named (one of the few programs that keeps changeable data
in the root partition). Would it be possible to insert this change
going into 4.7?

--Brett Glass

P.S.: We may also want to tweak our standard configuration of named
so that it keeps its data in /usr/local/etc/namedb by default. It's best to
avoid storing data -- especially data that's updated regularly, such
as slave zone files -- in the root partition. This isn't essential,
and in fact some folks may see a virtue in keeping DNS data on a
partition that's fully synchronous. But on a busy domain name server
with lots of secondaries, it may speed things up if the root partition
is fully sincyronous.