Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 01:06:19 +0200
From:      Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE (Stefan Bethke)
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@apfel.de>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG, cracauer@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speaking about the countries menu - ahem ahem! ;)

At 17:15 Uhr 19.04.1997, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
>"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:
>> It's just too damn big, and
>> another couple of countries added and it's going to take a 1600x1200 screen
>> to see the whole thing. :-)
>
>It works with lynx on a 80x24 screen. It works with Netscape on my 14
>inch monitor with 1024x768.

Just a few thoughts: while discussing a few points about the server and
upcoming development with Martin Cracauer, he showed my his little script
supposed to check the availibility of mirrors; quite a few were detected
bad. We looked at the mirrors and found out that they are no mirrors,
actually.

If the intent is that any http://www.XX.freebsd.org/ URL is an (almost)
up-to-date copy of http://www.freebsd.org/, then some 'mirrors' miss that
goal (i.e. www.br.freebsd.org).

I would find such a scheme quite useful. As some countries like to provide
native-language pages, these should be integrated as
http://www.XX.freebsd.org/XX/, I would suggest, as it is currently done on
www.de.freebsd.org.

Then, I would seperate the menu into one for mirrors and one with a list of
native language pages.

I also discussed wiht Martin the problem that few mirrors (if any at all)
are running the CGIs locally; we have discussed some solutions that would
allow a site to let the CGIs run on freefall but let the links to static
documents point back to the original server.

Another question would be whether www-mirrors are even needed nowadays. At
least for the network connections I can use here in Germany, the caching
proxy hierarchy now offered by providers allows for about the same
performance as accessing www.de.freebsd.org. (Includes Xlink, IS, and WiN,
for those curious). I'm not sure this holds true for other countries.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke   <Stefan.Bethke@Hanse.DE>
Hamburg, Germany