Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:33:29 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, hoek@hwcn.org, softweyr@xmission.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu> wrote:

> But it may improve the public schools.  They'd have to compete for
> students.

How do they compete if they have less money? Don't the vouchers imply less
money for the public schools, which in turn probably implies cutbacks and no
means to expand the curriculae?

> Are enough parents smart enough and concerned enough to
> pick a "good" school?  (I think so.)  Would the public schools be
> left with the difficult children--handicapped, disruptive, whatever?

Well...if you think that some other school is better, doesn't that mean that
some school will be considered inferior?  The inferior school will be left
with kids who couldn't get into the "better" schools or kids with parents who
aren't smart enough or concerned enough to move to the "better" school.
Either way, the "inferior" school probably doesn't see improvement.

I don't really know about the voucher stuff, but it seems like it HAS to lead
to less money for the public system and it seems like that HAS to reduce the
public schools' quality. Doesn't it?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org