Date:      Fri, 31 May 1996 11:55:46 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com (Marty Leisner)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: IDE or SCSI for home system?

Marty Leisner writes:

>> Hi-
>>
>> Yes...I understand that SCSI drives would give me better performance, but...at
>
> It depends...
>
> I got a seagate hawk 4gigabyte on an adaptec 1522 and a seagate IDE (I think)
> on a
> PB 100 Mhz pentium...
>
> I get about 3.5 Mbytes/second on the IDE, 1.5 Mbytes/second on the hawk...

There are a couple of points to consider here:

1.  The 1522 is a low-performance board.  It doesn't have much
    advantage over IDE.
2.  On a UNIX box, you do many things at the same time.  File transfer
    speed isn't as important as it is on a simple system like DOS: you
    should also consider what you do in between data transfers.

For a better example, try running two disk and CPU intensive programs
at the same time, or time a copy from one disk to another, preferably
while accessing a third disk at the same time (OK, you'll need 2 IDE
controllers for that, but that's OK).

Greg