Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 2004 23:45:23 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rewrite cvsup & portupgrade in C

--Boundary-02=_k/36Av7oOlagQUV

On Tuesday 06 July 2004 11:32 pm, Steve Kargl wrote:

> The discussion is about integrating an cvsup knock-off into the base
> system.  Can you say bloat?  Can you say bugs?

I guess I just don't see it that way.  cvsup is so absolutely necessary for=
=20
system maintenance that it seems like a logical addition.  I would imagine=
=20
that a client-only version in C would be much more heavily developed than t=
he=20
current ezm3 version.   In turn, this should reduce bugs and the eliminate=
=20
the need to install what is effectively a single-program language.

>> For example, OpenBSD doesn't have an m3 port for non-x86 platforms=20

> So, let Theo write a m3 port.

I wish he would, because it would probably be more portable then the curren=
t=20
system, which would allow more people to use it, which would turn more=20
developer eyes toward it, which would give us a better tool to use.  As it=
=20
stands, cvsup is "that weird thing that FreeBSD uses".
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser