Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2019 02:26:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 08:21:43PM -0600, Rebecca Cran via freebsd-hackers wrote:
> > I've been working on EFI support, and have a review
> > (https://reviews.freebsd.org/D19588) to add a script, efi-update-loader,
> > which will update the ESP containing the FreeBSD boot1.efi or loader.efi.
> >
> > I'd like to integrate it into the build system so it gets run when users
> > do a "make installworld", but I'm lost looking through Makefile.inc1 - I
> > have no clue where to add the code.
> >
> > Does anyone understand where and what to add?
>
> Can we take use of the opportunity and finally stop installing loader
> at installworld target at all, please ?
>
> Add e.g. installloader target which would do whatever needed to loader.

+1  boot code and loaders should  always be seperated from the
install target.  Historically this was casued by the fact that
the boot code and loader lived outside the file system and
required operations beyond updating /usr/mdec (very ancient)
or /boot/boot* (historical).  Now that /boot/loader* is an
immeditate effect on the bootability of the system it makes
since to seperate this from the installworld target.