Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:06:20 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unused functions

[Moved to -chat]

On Mon, Sep 14, 1998 at 06:06:24PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
[... on dead code elimination at the final code level ...]
> > It allows the programmer and the C scoping rules to
> > work together to determine what should be associated and what need not.
>
> Instead of the compiler merely calculating hamiltonian cycles in
> the dependency graph to do dead code elimination.

I don't get what Hamilton cycles has to do with this.  It looks like a
simple mark-and-sweep GC to me, and I can't see how looking for
Hamilton cycles are going to find.

Also, I can't think of a single case where I have written code that is
likely to have even a single Hamilton cycle - I usually don't call
main() from elsewhere in my program (and I certainly don't call
_start).  If you can involve Hamilton cycles at all here, it sounds
like it must be on a subgraph.  How?

For those following: A Hamilton cycle touch every node in the graph
exactly once, and forms a cycle.

Eivind.