Date:      Wed, 15 May 96 19:01:19 -0700
From:      John Crosswhite <crosswjo@hpcvusd.cv.hp.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.0-R Cannot Detect Secondary EIDE Channel...

I have sent a similar message to the list before.  But, I have a little
more information.

Relevant pieces of my config:

FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE

ASUS P55TP4XE
Primary   EIDE Channel (master):        1 1.2 Gig Samsung HD
Primary   EIDE Channel (slave) :	1 1.2 Gig Samsung HD
Secondary EIDE Channel (master):        1 Toshiba EIDE CD-ROM Drive
Secondary EIDE Channel (slave) :	Nothing

I am having problems getting the Secondary Channel to be recognized.  All
bios settings are default except for geometries.  As anybody with an ATAPI
CD-ROM drive knows, you cannot define settings for the CD-ROM in the bios.
I believe the bios is just concerned with fixed disk stuff.

I have made a new kernel with the ATAPI option, a line for wdc1 right out of
LINT and a line for wcd0 right out of LINT.  Are there any other options I
need to define?

When the machine boots this is what happens:

-Everything is probed fine until we get to the point where wdc1 is suppose
 to be detected.

-The following message appears:  wdc1 not found at (0x170)

-My IDE activity LED lights up on the front of my box and never goes out.

-Trying to eject the CD-ROM tray manually is futile.  Nothing happens.

-When I reboot the machine, everything returns to normal.
 (Until the FreeBSD kernel tries to look at my CD-ROM drive again)

This happens with the standard kernel source for wd.c and Werner's patch
that was posted.

Can anybody shed some light on how I can get FreeBSD to use my CD-ROM drive?
----

On a more positive note:

   FreeBSD is doing just about everything I would like it to do for me.
   I have every device on my box configured and working wonderfully
   under FreeBSD.  (Except this drive)  Good work everyone.

John Crosswhite
crosswjo@cs.orst.edu