Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:10:41 -0600
From:      Vikram Kulkarni <vkulkarn@brownforces.org>
To:        Andrew Boothman <A.J.Boothman@sms.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "NTLDR missing" after 5-RELEASE install

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:58:30PM +0000, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> Thanks for replying!
>
> I can't understand how the 5.x boot manager has managed to break my
> windows boot, i've never had any trouble under 3.x or 4.x, both of
> which played with windows perfectly nicely.
>
> I think i've tried all of the various repair options on the Win2k CD,
> including getting it to do a fresh installation into a different
> folder (c:\tempwin), but even that failed with the "NTLDR missing"
> message! However you no longer get the booteasy (F1.... F2) menu
> anymore, so Windows must have rewritten something. It still doesn't
> explain why Win2k still won't boot.
>
> I'm running out of ideas and I *really* don't want to have to reformat
> my windows drive!

I had a similar problem recently, and traced it back to this:

The NT Boot Loader doesn't use a partition ID when trying to boot
Windows, it keeps track of the partitions order on the disk (ie,
'Windows is on the third partition')... When I installed FreeBSD, I
combined two partitions into one, which changed my Windows partition to
the second partition instead of the third... this screwed up Windows. I
fixed this by using the 'fixboot' command in the Windows Recovery
Console...

For more info on the Windows Recovery Console:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;229716

Hope that helps... :-\

-Vik

--
vikram vinayak kulkarni   God created Arrakis to train the faithful.
vkulkarn@uiuc.edu                       -_The Wisdom of Muad'Dib_ by