Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:30:00 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting NVidia linux kernel modules to FreeBSD

Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> Actually, there's one more question I have about XFree-4.  IIUC, core GL
> libs, such as libGL.so, libOSMesa.so, etc are included in XFree 4.0.2 core
> distribution.  So how come that lots of applications still have Mesa-3.2
> in their dependencies?

The Mesa bits included in XFree86 4.0.2 are a subset of the Mesa-3.2 port.
If you have XFree86 4.0.2 installed, you should define XFREE86_VERSION=4
in /etc/make.conf; then, the Mesa 3.2 port only installs the files not
included in XFree-4. Also, the ports which use the Xpm library do not
depend on the xpm port (XFree-4 includes Xpm).

Still there are some ports which have not been adapted to the
XFREE86_VERSION mechanism; one of these is x11-toolkits/xaw3d: its
Makefile checks for the existence of ${X11BASE}/XFree86 in order to
find out what XFree86 version is installed.

Cheers,
-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **