Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:39:24 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Jose <jose@fibre.a2000.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can't detect second NIC

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 01:51:04PM +0200, Jose wrote:
> Hi I have a problem, I'm using freebsd 4.0, and I have two NIC's in my
> system.
> A 3com 905b TX, through this card I get on the internet, I get an ip via
> DHCP for my cable modem. (This one works perfectly)
>
> I also have a NE2000 isa card, it's a REALTEK 8019 that's on irq = 11,
> port 240. It's in PnP mode.
> FreeBSD can't detect my realtek, I even tried to put my card in
> jumperless, on irq 3 port 300. But It doesn't get detected.
> This card works perfectly under win98/NT server, and linux. But I can't
> get it working under FreeBSD.

I think that RealTek 8019 uses the ed0 driver. I have a RealTek 8029 here
using ed0 (and a 8139 using rl0).

> Can anyone please help me, the manual really doesn't say very much
> about, more NIC's in the same system, and how to configure both cards. I

As an addition to the handbook and manual pages, you might look up
www.freebsddiary.org, it contains a lot of useful topics described in more
detail than in the handbook.
(http://www.freebsddiary.org/topics.php3#networks is perhaps useful for
you, also have a look at the Firewall/Gateway section).

> normally check with dmesg if ed0 is available, and see if I can select
> it from /stand/sysinstall in networking. Do I have to change something
> in my rc.conf?? Please tell me the steps how I can get this working.
>
> I have included my kernel configuration and a copy of dmesg as an
> attachment.
>
> I always get this when I'm booting, is this a configuration error? And
> if so, how can I solve it???

It is because you saved your configuration during the install. The file
is /boot/kernel.conf containing several lines disabling drivers.

> config> di sn0
> No such device: sn0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di lnc0
> No such device: lnc0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di le0
> No such device: le0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di ie0
> No such device: ie0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di fe0
> No such device: fe0
> Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
> config> di ed0

          ^^^^^^ Your problem might be here; ed0 driver is disabled.

Load /boot/kernel.conf in your favorite editor and delete the "di ed0"
line. Better yet, delete the whole kernel.conf file, since it looks like your
custom kernel does not contain the sn0, lnc0 etc. devices looking at the above
complaints that those devices are not present. The complaint is not there
for ed0, indicating that it is simply disabling the ed0 driver in your
kernel.

Good luck!
Karel.