Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 00:11:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
To:        jlemon@americantv.com (Jonathan Lemon)
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: paper on improving webserver performance

> Yes, I thought the same thing too.  Originally, my implmentation simply
> moved all connections in a TIME_WAIT states onto a separate timing wheel,
> and left the rest of the code alone.
>
> Turns out that the overhead of inserting/deleting events from the timing
> wheel is trivial as compared to the cost of checking the hash buckets and
> walking the chains checking for events.

Possibly that might be the reason why my timing wheel is performing worse.
In any case, a 5% difference isn't much to worry about - the earlier drafts of
my paper also had a full description of the timing wheel. We threw that out
because of space limitations and since the list implementation was simple
and promising enough. In any case, I'd like to know how your timing wheel
performs vs my list based implementation (the latter is really easy to
implement). Perhaps you can compare the two.

- Mohit