Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:25:24 -0400 (AST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Tor.Egge@cvsup.no.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vlrureclaim update

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 Tor.Egge@cvsup.no.freebsd.org wrote:

> I believe the vnlru_proc was intended as a fallback method for freeing
> vnodes.  A vnode is normally added to the free list when the last page
> owned by a object of type OBJT_VNODE is freed, see vm_page_free_toq() in
> vm_page.c.

Was just thinking of this ... I just kill'd off 18 jails (and unmounted
the associated union and proc fs's) on one of the servers, and right now,
I'm seeing:

debug.numvnodes: 234726 - debug.freevnodes: 3518 - debug.vnlru_nowhere: 2 - vlruwt
debug.numvnodes: 234726 - debug.freevnodes: 3240 - debug.vnlru_nowhere: 2 - vlruwt
debug.numvnodes: 234726 - debug.freevnodes: 3064 - debug.vnlru_nowhere: 2 - vlruwt

Now, if the free vnodes are *supposed* to be auto-reclaiming, and teh
vnlru_proc is meant to provide a fallback, then is there a bug with how
vm_page_free_toq is working (or not being called, maybe?) ... ?

Similar to the problem I had mentioend in relation to softupdates?  Where
the space for files being deleted didn't look like it was being reclaimed
until the server is/was rebooted ...