Date:      17 May 1999 20:55:40 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modex support (again)

Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp> writes:
> In that sense, the support for 320x240 mode-X is minimal too.  The
> driver can set up this mode, but has no knowledge or code to write to
> it.  It is entirely up to the userland program to update the video
> buffer.  (And it is true that there is very little use to this mode at
> the moment as we haven't seen anybody using it...)

I believe the video_info_t etc. structures aren't able to accurately
describe how to address mode X. The graphics code in the graphical
screen savers and the splash screen decoders is written in such a way
that it does not care if the current mode is linear or windowed (a
linear frame buffer is a windowed frame buffer with a window size
large enough to hold the entire screen). Extending this code to work
with mode X is not trivial; you either have to write a separate
drawing function for mode X, or put so much magic in your drawing
function that it will bog down to something like 3 fps. And you can't
just look at your video_info_t and see that mode X is interlaced; you
have to *know* that you're running in mode X and that mode X is
interlaced.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no