Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 98 16:25:54 +0200
From:      THIERRY.HERBELOT@telspace.alcatel.fr
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dialin AND dialout modem sharing (with PPP)

     Hi

     I've installed and configured a fairly recent version of user-ppp with
     mgetty and Auto-PPP support (on a 2.2.5-R machine).

     I would like to have an on-demand PPP-link beetween two IP subnets A
     and B (via modem). The FreeBSD machine sits on the B network.

     |A network|--|modem|<---POTS--->|modem|--|FreeBSD / B Network|

     I have configured the ppp-daemon in "-auto" mode to enable on-demand
     connection from B to A : it works.
     I have configured mgetty and PPP to enable incomming PPP connections
     from A to B : it works.

     When I try to authorize both incoming and outgoing connections through
     the same modem, it stops working : on-demand outgoing PPP -auto takes
     hold of the line and mgetty is kept out of the picture (and can't
     answer the line).

     1st question : is there a configuration of mgetty and "ppp -auto" so
     that they share a single modem ?

     2nd question : (if two modems are needed) doesn't the TCP-IP stack get
     confused with having two interfaces for the connection beetween two
     networks ? (each with unidirectionnal routes when the line is down)

     Thanks in advance for your help

     TfH

     thierry.herbelot@telspace.alcatel.fr