Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:14:31 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

On Monday, 26 July 1999 at 12:27:39 +0300, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
>> Yes, you're definitely confused.  What does Yahoo! have to do with the
>> issue?  The Ports Collection is part of FreeBSD.
>
> No, you're confused, because you haven't read _carefully_ the whole!

I read the whole, carefully.

> It was about those Linux apps that can be compiled also under
> FreeBSD [so, 99% of them], those apps whose authors does NOT e-mail
> you at FreeBSD to tell you about their existance!

Ah.  Then you should have said so.  If you don't say what you mean,
you make people think you're confused.

> For instance, win32 apps [freeware/shareware] can easily be found at
> sites like shareware.com, freewaresite.com, etc. etc.  Linux apps
> cam be found also at linuxapps.com and, of course, serching with any
> search engine [y compris Yahoo] and finding, in various pages, that
> someone did something "for Linux".

Fine.

> Now, for Linux there is at least one page [that is linuxapps.com]
> which is trying to list Linux apps w. sources, apps that are NOT
> included in any Linux distribution!!! So, not into FreeBSD/ports
> neither, presumedly!

Why do you presume that?

> Capito?

Not really.  I think you're a little confused.  Just because a program
(even a Linux program) isn't included in any Linux distribution
doesn't mean that it isn't in the Ports Collection.

You appear to be new on the FreeBSD scene.  I suspect you still
haven't understood some of the cultural differences.

Greg