Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:57:46 +0100
From:      Peter Mutsaers <peter@mutsaers.com>
To:        "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Hartmut Pilch" <phm@ffii.org>
Subject:   Software Patents.  Was Re: FreeBSD vs Linux, Solaris, and NT

:

    >> In Europe, software
    >> patents do not exist and cannot be granted.

    Julian> Wrong ! Sadly ! That's the old simple theoretical world I
    Julian> learnt about back in University in the late 70's, it
    Julian> changed & got worse ... lawyers encroached, & the EPO
    Julian> expanded like crazy !

    Julian> The key words "As Such" in regard to software patents
    Julian> bring an ironic smile to the lips of patent examiners in
    Julian> the field.
    Julian> =09( & I'm being precise here, about the smile, I lunch oft=
en
    Julian> =09with examiners at http:/www.epo.org =3D European Patent
    Julian> =09Office, Nice food, nice people, shame about the patents =
!
    Julian> =09They're clever people & personal friends, & I do my smal=
    Julian> =09bit to persuade them to be careful of the effects of wha=
    Julian> =09they grant, but the patent system is really sick, change=

    Julian> =09needs to come from top down, not bottom up).

What I have learned is that the EPO has been granting software patents
for several years now, so that they are in place when and if software
patents shall be allowed in the EU (probably they have nothing better
to do than grant patents in advance, that are not yet lawful=3F).

--=20
Peter Mutsaers  |  D=FCbendorf    | UNIX - Live free or die
plm@gmx.li      |  Switzerland  | Sent via FreeBSD 4.2-stable