Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:05:51 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/21504: New port: korean/tin

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 07:00:03PM -0700, CHOI Junho scribbled:
| The following reply was made to PR ports/21504; it has been noted by GNATS.
|  >>>>> "PJ" == Park JongHwan <jhp@cocoja.holywar.net> writes:
|      PJ> tin newsreader for Korean.
|      PJ> it is based on chinese/tin
|  I think chinese/tin or korean/tin you suggested is too simple for
|  making separated ports. Just install news/tin and edit configuration
|  file is fine for us.

What about the people who do not know English well enough to
spend all the time doing documentation?  True, most FreeBSD
users are able to read English, but it may take quite an effort
to do so.  :)

Following your reasoning, there really is no need for any language
ports.  After all, they are all just small patches and configurations
for the users.  But, is that not what the Ports collection is? :-)

|  Or, please make slave ports just like chinese/mutt.

I agree that slave ports are better, but sometimes patches
just do not work with newer versions when the master port
gets updated with newer versions.

Sometimes, when newer versions of software convert to newer
standards like XIM or UTF-8, they break the patches completely.

|  To other ports developers: Can we accept localized ports doing just
|  "changing default configuration to local language"?

The Ports collection has accepted that in the past.  Also,
following your reasoning, we should not have apache-* ports,
nor xemacs-*/mule-* ports, because they are just configurations
varying by user. :)

To summarize, here are some reasons to have non-slave language ports:

o Saves users time from reading English documentation
o The Ports are small patches and configurations, and a language port
  follows the same reasoning.
o Newer versions of master ports may prevent the older language patches
  of language ports from working.  Sometimes developers are not
  able to patch the software without large significant structural changes
  to the software.

Regards,
Michael