Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 23:04:21 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "James E. Housley" <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Challenge

> The box is just going to be running NATD and IPFW, maybe DHCLIENT.
>
> Mr. NT is been told he can try and break-in, crash what ever this box
> from the internet side.
>
> I am asking for links, pointer to make sure this is configured as
> secure/solid as possible.  I will be installing 3.3-STABLE over this
> weekend (9/11/1999).  I really want to make sure we win.

Turn off inetd on the computer, since you have no need for external
services.

In any case, if you install a recent version of FreeBSD, I doubt Mr. NT
is capable of crashing FreeBSD from externally.  Just make sure he
doesn't have an account on it, since it's much easier to cause Denial Of
Service attacks if you don't spend alot of time setting up limits and
such.

Nate