Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 17:48:48 -0400
From:      Ken Arromdee <arromdee@inetnow.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   uudx

How do I tell what the license is on a FreeBSD source file?  I am
specifically interested in uudx, since I'm trying to find a uudecode
program which doesn't contain the 'advertising clause' (which says that
if a feature is advertised you have to include a credit in the
advertising), so I can cut the routine out and use it in another
program.  (As a programmer, I have little influence on how the marketing
division advertises anything.)

The routine itself is only a few lines, but I've looked at it enough
times that I'd be hard pressed to write one of my own which doesn't
include a few lines of BSD-copyrighted code.

There is a license on www.freebsd.org which contains the 'advertising
clause', but it's not clear which files the license applies to (it
clearly can't apply to _all_ files, and in any case the source for
uudx is not located on www.freebsd.org).  uudx itself contains no
copyright notice, and I can't read the documentation because it's in
Japanese.  Email to the listed author (pcs28337@asciinet.or.jp)
bounces.

Does uudx include the 'advertising clause'?  If not, exactly what sort
of copyright is it under?  If so, is there any way I can get a uudecode
routine which doesn't include it?