Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:53:10 +0200 (EET)
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@dc.ispro.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   what is the difference between priority and nice levels

Hello,

What is the difference between priority and nice levels?
Even in the manual of renice command it says that;

> Renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running processes.

It also says that priority is between -20 to 20

But when I set the priority to 30 in login.conf the top program gives this
kind of output

PID USERNAME   PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
12012 yurtesen    18  30  1424K  1112K pause    0:00  0.00%  0.00% tcsh
15130 root        28  30  1620K   868K RUN      0:01  0.00%  0.00% top

I am totally confused.
When I set the priority in login.conf why does it change the nice level?
Why not priority of the process? What is priority if I can set nice level
only?

thanks

Evren