Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:08:02 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> > For my own peace of mind, could someone provide an example where S uses A,
> > but S does not utilize A. Or the other way 'round.
>
> Actually I think the distinction is probably one of Brett's and Terry's
> fantasies.  They mean the same in ordinary English and I'll be
> surprised if there is a distinction in law (IANAL but nor are they).

Your definitions ignore the fact that "use" can be a noun, an
intransitive verb, or a transitive verb.

The word "utilize" is *only* a transitive verb.

The GPL "uses" (8-)) the word in its least common application,
where the word "utilize" would serve better, and therfore
attempts to muddy the waters regarding derivitive works
(utilizing the code) vs. operation of the application (using
the code).

-- Terry