Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 00:06:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, jasone@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> > I'm wondering if there might possibly be some way to preserve some level
> > of simplicity by keeping ksid'd like we keep pid's now, so that things
> > that juggle a 32 bit entity keep on doing that, although perhaps under
> > another name.
>
> I think you're basically right in keeping things simple.  I think
> that a non-MT process should be equivalent to a MT process.  The
> non-MT process has only one co-operating process (itself) and one
> KSE.  Whenever the non-MT process blocks in the kernel, there are
> no more available KSEs, so another process is scheduled.

OK, then let me ask another question: are we at all concerned about maybe
following an already established thread API, or are we going to create our
own?  Things like user threads probably could work as then are now (albeit
perhaps with only minor changes in performance) and stuff with runtimes
like Java wouldn't care, but big programs like XFree86 and Netscape, and
specially made daemons trying to do things like mass factoring,
that are going to really want to manipulate real concurrency levels,
they're going to have to be aware of our real underlying API, so making a
unique one will complicate a lot of lives.

> Dan Eischen
> eischen@vigrid.com

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)