Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 13:59:39 +1100
From:      "Joe Shevland" <joe.shevland@horizonti.com>
To:        <bahwi@technologist.com>, <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I need some help with installing the JDK 1.1.5

----------
> From: bahwi <bahwi@cityscope.net>
> To: java@freebsd.org
> Subject: I need some help with installing the JDK 1.1.5
> Date: Sunday, 1 February 1998 7:39
>
> I downloaded the (dap? is that is what it is called?)
> binary distribution of the JDK 1.1.5 for FreeBSD. Could
> someone tell me exactly what to do to get it working
> fully(semi-fully?) What would the classpath be and all
> that, or is there an installation thing or a port for it?
> (So I can do make install) Thanks for putting up with this
> Unix - Half-Newbie.. Many thanks.

1) RTFM :-)

2) Sorry if I'm offering bad assistance here, because I haven't installed the 1.1.5 version yet, but here goes anyway (sorry also
for any browser paragraph mangling that occurs).

Install the package file (I guess its a .tar.gz?) to /usr/local/jdk I guess.

Your classpath is the location (path) of the 'classes.zip' file and other class libraries you require. For instance, by installing
to /usr/local/jdk, your classpath would probably be:

setenv CLASSPATH "/usr/local/jdk/lib/classes.zip",

although I could be wrong about the lib subdirectory. Often your CLASSPATH needs to also include the current directory '.', and
maybe other class libraries you've developed (so setenv CLASSPATH ".:$CLASSPATH").

Your PATH envirovariable needs to include the binaries that come with the JDK, so update this. e.g. add /usr/local/jdk/bin to your
path (or I think it may be /usr/local/jdk/i386/bin).

Failing all this, go to 1).

Hope it helps (even with all the inconsistencies with shells etc.) :-)

Joe Shevland
joe.shevland@horizonti.com