Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 14:42:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        pds@uberhacker.org (Paul D. Schmidt)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is my backup system sane?

Paul D. Schmidt wrote,
> I do a level 0 dump at the end of the month
>
> I then cycle through 4 (or 5 if necessary) "Sunday" tapes doing level 1
> backups
>
> Then Monday-Saturday I do a level 2 backup to the proper tape for the day...

There is a little trade-off here. If a file changes once on Monday and
never again during the week, it is still going to get backed up every
day of the week. For the simplicity of your scheme you pay by having
the size of that level 2 backup grow monotonically.

If for your system(s) the size is not really a factor, then I don't
see why the simplicity trade might be worth it for you.

I assume from the way you phrased some things that you are backing up
soley for full-system recovery (to return the machine to its last
functioning state) after a catastrophic event. However, if
you also back up to save old "snapshots" (when a luser comes to you, "I
accidently deleted a file last week, is it backed up somewhere?") of
the system, that may call for a more complex approach.