Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 12:07:33 -0400
From:      "Matthew B. Henniges" <matt@axl.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Subject:   RE: pid file for named

> On Sun 2000-05-21 (22:21), Chris Johnson wrote:
> > That hasn't been my experience, and I'm running djb's (that's Daniel J.
> > Bernstein, if anyone's wondering) dnscache/tinydns everywhere.
> If you have
> > performance problems, try posting a message to
> dns@list.cr.yp.to and see if
> > anyone has anything to offer.

It's much faster for me as well, but even if it wasn't, I would still use
it.
My primary reason for switching was security.

> > I've been BIND-free since dnscache's first alpha release, and I
> haven't had a
> > single problem.

Yeah, it's been fine for me ever since .69 or so...

> Have you tried the port?  I haven't been able to find anyone else to
> test it properly.  I'd appreciate some feedback.

I have never used the port, however, dnscache goes on all my machines...A
working port would great to have. I'll test it a bit for you.

> Neil (who is unfortunately maintainer for most of the djb ports)

I'm a big fan of DJB software.

qmail, daemontools, ezmlm-idx,  and dnscache are all very important to me.
I'll be happy to help you with any of those.

Matthew B. Henniges
CoPresident
Axl.net Communications
http://www.axl.net